Where's Your Book Today?

That's what people always say to me at work, if I don't have a book or my PDA or my eBookwise Reader with me at lunch. I love to read and I guess it's obvious. So many books, so little time...and so much dust in my apartment.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Oh, man, I've got to catch up! Part 3

This will get me caught up on the rest books I read this week but haven't posted about. Part 1 was for category romance. Part 2 was for ebooks. This part is for the two full-length novels I read.

"Master of Wolves" by Angela Knight * Rating 4.0
I wasn't going to read any more paranormals for little while, but I was in a situation where I knew I was going to be sitting in a waiting room without a book or my PDA, and this was the only book I could find fast at the grocery store that wasn't already on my TBR pile at home.

Faith Weston is a K-9 officer with a small-town police department. Her new dog, Rambo, was donated by a nearby dog trainer and has been a godsend to a department that could never have afforded to pay for him. What she doesn't know is he's a werewolf undercover, trying to solve the mystery of a friend's murder.

Jim London is the werewolf. He went undercover as a dog because his werewolf sense of smell told him that members of the police department were corrupted by evil magic. He didn't count on falling in love with his policewoman handler.

This book is part of a continuing series, and I'm afraid I might have liked it better if I'd read the other books first. Most of them are on my TBR pile, but I just haven't got to them yet. So there are lots of characters introduced that are either from previous books or there to set up the next one. The descriptions of how the werewolves came to be, how some of the major players came to know each other, and how the villains in the previous books lead to this ones - all these tended to bog down story and slow it down.

There were aspects of the story that seemed a bit too much...like the magical appearance of a Tara-like structure on the land of a burned out plantation, that no one else in the town happened to notice? But it is a paranormal romance, and you do tend to be more generous suspending disbelief with stories like these, since it's all in the realm of the unbelievable.

And from someone who likes the erotic nature of some romances, let me tell you the first time these two come together was scorching! It was a serious tension buster, and a scene I've re-read a few times already. I will be digging out those previous novellas and books. Maybe catching up on this series backstory will allow me to enjoy the next one even more.

"Baby, I'm Yours" by Susan Andersen * Rating 4.0
Catherine MacPherson finds herself kidnapped by bounty hunter, Sam McKade, who's mistaken the staid school-teacher for her flamboyant exotic dancer, Kaylee. Kaylee, who overheard her boss taking out a contract to kill his mistress, is on the run after being charged with stealing a car. Turns out the car had been "borrowed" by her boyfriend, Bobby, but he forgot to return it and loaned it to Kaylee. Confused? This is a screwball comedy that is silly, spunky, sexy, and sometimes sweet. Sam is a nice guy with a hero-complex. Catherine is a nice girl who'd repressed a lot of her personality to please a religious - and judgmental - mother. (I have to separate the two, because not all religious people are judgmental, and I'm getting a little tired of this particular stereotype). It was a fun, if not particularly realistic, read and I'm sure I'll enjoy more from this author.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home