Where's Your Book Today?

That's what people always say to me at work, if I don't have a book or my PDA or my eBookwise Reader with me at lunch. I love to read and I guess it's obvious. So many books, so little time...and so much dust in my apartment.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

"Sighs Matter" by Marianne Stillings

I bought this book on the basis of the title alone. Well, almost entirely...I did read the back cover first.

Get your minds out of the gutter. Yes, the cover caught my eye, but I wouldn't have bought a book just because of that cover. As it was, I had to put a bookcover on it so I could read it in public.

This is a silly, fun book with a hunky, protective cop and a heroine who's not a ditzy blonde. In fact, she's a doctor. And never once does the issue of who makes more than whom come up as a difficulty for this couple. Oh, they have their problems - namely, that Claire's not willing to get involved with a cop. So after a hot night of passion, she walked away from our hero (silly, silly girl!)

But he pushes back into her life when it begins to look as if someone's trying to kill her or her eccentric aunt. He tries to keep it professional, but the sexual tension between these too is steamy enough to curl wallpaper.

The book is full of snarky comments, pun-nish humor, and - so far as is possible in a romance novel - men who actually seem like real men. These guys could have been my brothers. Well, they could have been, if my brothers had taken better care of themselves...and stayed on the right side of the law. But that's beside the point.

I'm not going to do a big description - it's late and it wouldn't be worth your time to read what would come from my fingers at this time of night. Read the blurb over on Amazon. But I loved it. I loved the humor and I loved the romance. And I was even a little surprised by the resolution of the suspense plot (just a little, mind you). Overall, I gave the book a 4.5 out of 5 on my very subjective scale.

Taylor and Claire actually met in the book, "The Damsel in This Dress." He's the brother of the book's hero, and Claire's the heroine's best friend. Actually, the main reason I didn't give this a 5 out of 5 was because I kept feeling like I was missing details that I would have known if I'd read the first book. After I went out and bought - and read - the first one, I realized there really wasn't much I missed that wasn't explained in "Sighs Matter," but...

...the big reason why Claire doesn't want to date a cop comes out as a big, dark secret that she's "never told anyone," not even Betsy. But in "The Damsel in This Dress," it comes out that she and Claire have been friends since they were teensie, tiny girls. So Betsy would have known her big secret, because it wasn't really all that secret. In fact, I kept thinking he would have had her background back when he first put her under surveillance. But it was just a little bother, nothing serious. And it certainly didn't take away from the fun of reading this book.

If you're going to read it, you might want to start with "The Damsel in This Dress." I enjoyed that book - not quite as much as I did "Sighs Matter" - but enough to give it a solid 4 out of 5. But it does set the stage. In fact, I learned only moments ago that there's a book that came out between these - "Between the Garden of Good and Evie" - that's set in the same town. Now I'm curious if we see anything of Claire or Taylor in that one, too.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Shelby Reed said…

    Darn you, Miki! I went to Amazon and bought it after reading your review! I can't afford to buy anymore books right now! LOL You're a bad, bad influence. But wow...who could resist that cover? It's worth it for that alone...

    I'll let you know what I think when I finish reading it.

    Hugs,
    Shelby

     
  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Miki said…

    Oh, fingers crossed and hope you enjoy it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home