Where's Your Book Today?

That's what people always say to me at work, if I don't have a book or my PDA or my eBookwise Reader with me at lunch. I love to read and I guess it's obvious. So many books, so little time...and so much dust in my apartment.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

"Dime Store Magic" by Kelley Armstrong

At this point in the blog, it might be obvious that I'm trying to "catch up." I've been reading these books all week, but didn't post anything until today.

Another thing to mention, I may be falling victim to my "too-many-books-in-the-same-genre" dissatisfaction. I normally try to rotate through genres when I'm reading, to keep from developing a sense of boredom with the genre or from comparing one book to the last.

"Dime Story Magic" is my least favorite of the "Women of the Otherworld" series so far. I gave it a 3 rating. This review will contain spoilers to "Stolen," so if you plan to read the series and haven't read that far, you might want to skip this post.

This book is written from the point of view of Paige Winterbourne, a 23-year-old witch who was introduced in "Stolen." Paige and her mother had been kidnapped, along with Elena, by the paranormal collectors. When they arrived at the compound, they discovered it already held a 13-year-old witch, Savannah, who'd been kidnapped with her mother, Eve. Eve had been a strong black-magic witch, and the paranormal collectors killed her the day they captured her because they couldn't control her.

Ruth's mother had also been killed, but she made Paige promise to take care of Savannah and take her back to their Coven to continue in her witch training.

So book 3 opens with Paige and Savannah, trying to learn to live together, and a Coven which is strongly reluctant to take in the child of a black-magic witch.

Suddenly, Paige is served with legal papers. A sorcerer claiming to be Savannah's biological father wants custody and is willing to fight dirty to get her back. Turns out, her father is the CEO of the "Nast Cabals" - which are described as something like a cross between a huge, multi-faceted corporation and the Mafia, only with sorcerers and other paranormal beings, rather than evil humans.

When Paige refuses to comply, her life gets...complicated. Way complicated. And the once-again ineffectual witches Coven turns its back on her.

Enter, Lucas Cortez, youngest son - and bastard son - of the CEO of a rival Cabal. He has turned away from the cabal life and is working as a lawyer for people who are being oppressed or pressured by the cabals. He is a rebel with a cause, but he looks more like Clark Kent than James Dean. In the midst of this, Lucas and Paige develop an instant attraction to one another. Quick, oh yeah. But is it real? What Paige must decide is, is he who he claims or is he really working for the cabals?

Paige is still as immature and whiny as she was in "Stolen," which is probably a big reason why I had such a hard time enjoying this book. She makes about every TSTL heroine move there is, constantly putting herself and Savannah in danger. That alone doesn't make a move TSTL - sometimes you do what you have to do. What makes it TSTL is when it's done out of bullheadedness, rather than planning.

It's embarrassing to admit it, but I was so annoyed with Paige, I don't remember - only 5 days after finishing the book - the big resolution. It was big and over-the-top, that I remember, but I don't remember specifics.

So, should you read it? If you like the series enough to keep going, I'd say yes. There's stuff that happens in this book that's built on in the next one. And let me give you a hint - the next book is much better than this one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home